Quote of the Week

Take a shower, shine your shoes/ You got no time to lose/ You are young men you must be living/ So go now you are forgiven.
-The General, Dispatch

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Tried To Make This Title Flippant, But I Can't. This Is About Music That Makes My Soul Remember Why It's Here.

What I came here to write about today is my favorite songs to listen to that make my soul hurt.  I know that that sounds really weird, but they do.  They make my soul hurt, ache, with emotion.  I don't know what it is about music, but something about it just makes me feel a certain way really strongly.  Does that happen to you?  You listen to a song and it literally pulls the emotion out of that deep pit of your heart and hangs it in front of your eyes and you actually have to feel for a while, even if it is just six minutes sitting in your dark room listening to your laptop and staring with closed eyes into the great perhaps.  Maybe it's just me.  I hope you enjoy these songs.  I know I do.

1.  November, by Max Richter.  This song, if listened to with your eyes closed in a dark room, should inspire images of the Universe being born and the Universe dying.  It is that beautiful. 

2. The Nature of Daylight, by Max Richter.  This song brings tears to my eyes.  In a good way.

3. Svefn-g-englar, by Sigur Ros. I found this song when I was browsing iTunes one day.  I'm so glad I did. 

4. Staralfur, by Sigur Ros. This is another song I listen to if I want to imagine the Universe.  I like to listen to this when I stargaze.  It makes me feel less small.

5. I'll Never See Him Again, by Alan Menken.  I will challenge anyone by saying that Pocahontas has one of the best Disney scores out of any of the movies ever made, ever.  I will make that statement.  I think that this song is one of the most beautiful ever composed.  The very end always gets me.

6. Farewell, by Alan Menken.  I stand by what I said before.  Pocahontas has the best soundtrack.  Highly underrated.

7. Air for Band, by Frank Erickson.  You hear that flute part?  I can play that flute part.  Oh yes, I'm that kind of nerd.

8. Irish Tune From County Derry, by Percy Grainger. Again, I'm a nerd.  I can again play this flute part.  And if you know your Irish folk songs, you'd be able to notice that the melody is that of 'Oh Danny Boy', which is probably the most famous Irish folk song of all time.

9. The Blood Of Cu Chulainn, by Mychael and Jeff Danna. "And shepards shall we be/ For thee, my Lord, for thee/ Power hath descended forth from Thy hand/ Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands/ So we shall flow a river forth to Thee/ And teeming with souls shall it ever be/ In Nomeni Patri, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti" Bonus points to whoever knows what that's from.

10. The Great Unknown, by The Damnwells.  This is the only one with lyric-y lyrics.  Sigur Ros has lyrics, but unless any of you speak Icelandic and haven't told me, I'm assuming that you're just listening to the music like me.  This song makes me want to close my eyes and smile at the sky.  It is the perfect song to listen to  when you are driving home at night.  So peaceful.  And the lead singer's voice makes me happy.  It's beautiful.

Alright, that is ten of the songs that touch my soul.  I hope you liked them as much as I do.  But somehow I doubt that.  Music affects all of us differently, so what jerks my heart around might not jerk yours.  But I hope you still enjoyed them.

Love and kisses,

L.

1 comment:

Hey ya goon! If you liked it, tell me so!