Quote of the Week

Take a shower, shine your shoes/ You got no time to lose/ You are young men you must be living/ So go now you are forgiven.
-The General, Dispatch

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Keep Calm, It's Going To Be Totally Awesome

If you see the quote "Alas, ...", what is your automatic response to it?

Choose.

A.) I failed.
B.) Earwax.
C.) Peanut Brittle.
D.) It's over.

If you chose A or D, you have no imagination whatsoever.
If you chose C, I want whatever your on.
If you chose B, you are my best friend ever. (Or Isabel T., which is basically the same thing.)



For those of you who are awesome, you probably guessed what this post was going to be about from the title, which is a quote from A Very Potter Musical, which I've mentioned a lot on this blog. So, if you can deduce it, if you've been taking your smart pills, you could probably guess that this is going to be a very long, very involved, possibly tear-jerking post about HOW MUCH I FREAKING LOVE HARRY POTTER.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system, a warning: If you do not like Harry Potter, leave now. Leave right now and never come back. (Not really; please come back! I'll still love you if you don't like Harry Potter. Though probably a little less than I did before.)

You've been warned.


I am going to start this off with a huge I AM A GIGANTIC, HUMONGOUS, FANTASTICALLY AWESOME NERD. And I am specifically a nerd for Harry Potter. I wasn't even born when the series first came into fruition. I was born later, which kind of is bizarre to me. My whole entire life, my whole life I've had Harry Potter in it. There hasn't been a period in my life when Harry Potter didn't exist. That is mad. And by mad I mean crazy. See? I think that Harry Potter was the first thing that introduced me to Britain and its awesomeness. And I've never stopped loving it. I use British terms all of the time, thanks to Potter. It began my fascination. Seriously.


Secondly, I'm not one of those obnoxious people who think about Harry Potter 24/7. I know my limits. I seriously could link it to everything and anything in my life, but I don't. I have friends who do that, and frankly I find it annoying. I love these books, and seriously wish that I was J.K. Rowling, but I have standards. I haven't read the series in full in about a year and a half. Not ony do I not have the time, I just have other stuff to read. But that's the great thing. I can go and read other books, and still have time to say, 'You know what, it's time to read Harry Potter again.' And I just do. It's like going home. As sad and patheic it is to say that.


Thirdly, it is time for the awkward confession of the day. I used to pretend I was a character in Harry Potter (Sorry Is!). Like intensely. And until I was about 12. Seriously. Don't mock.


Fourthly, I love everything to do with Potterlore. A Very Potter Musical and Wrock music anyone? I have friends who are Potter purists, and they only like the books and I'm like WHY? Why wouldn't you want to immerse yourself in this honest-to-goodness subculture? This is probably the only place that I feel comfortable pigeonholing myself into. I am a Potter Nerd. This is final.


Fifthly, it is Thursday night, I have work tomorrow, I'm listening to Wrock music and as soon as I finish this post I'm rereading the 7th book. And then tomorrow I'm going to see the Final Harry Potter Movie dressed up as Draco Malfoy. I'm really nice now, you guys. It is going to be totally awesome.


Sixthly, I just love these books. The characters, literally, are my best friends. I feel closer to Harry, Ron, and Hermione than I do to some of my honest-to-hopkirk friends. Like, flesh and blood friends. I'm closer to fictional characters than to real people. If that isn't devotion I don't know what is.


Seventhly, I just love these books. They were the perfect escape as a kid, when I was weird and didn't have many friends. I found friends in Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I found a home at Hogwarts. I found myself in those books. And no matter what, I will always be waiting for my letter...


So yeah, I really love Harry Potter. I kind of banged this post out, and when I go see the movie tomorrow, Red Vines in tow, I will totally write a review.


GET PUMPED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I KNOW I AMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!


And in the words of the immortal Albus Wolfric Percival Brian Dumbledore, here is my ideas on the whole series.


"Well of course this was happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"


And with that I bid you adieu; I have some book to read.


Big sopping kisses to all,


*MWA.

4 comments:

  1. Harry Potter raised me. I have no idea where I'd be right now if it wasn't for those books. I've read the series over at least five times now. No joke. I feel more alive and more real when I'm reading Harry Potter than I do at any other time in my life.

    I've never been a fan of the movies, though. I just can't get into them. I'm not even going to see the new one today. I already know what it's going to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I chose B, because it reminded me of Dumbledore and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any friend of Harry Potter is a friend of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose B before I even realized why I was choosing it. =D

    And after just watching the final movie, I have a few (seven, exactly) books to re-read! It was a good, dramatic, cinematic ending but there were still some parts that just weren't capable of matching the awesomeness of bookitry. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey ya goon! If you liked it, tell me so!